Friday 10 October 2008

Caper to Cutter


From Paper Caper to Paper Cutter - the work of Jan Pieńkowski is some of the most inspired. It is one of the pleasures at the cupboard to be fortunate enough to visit such leading artists in their natural habitat - the studio. As such I recently found myself once again in the airy top floor of Jan's house idly surveying the fascinating array of images and drawings which abound. The overwhelming sense of calm creativity is a tonic for the soul, and after chatting in the kitchen to the cello accompanist who had arrived for the morning musical ensemble we thrashed out, over mugs of tea, plans to exhibit stunning new paper cut out silhouettes taken from his exquisite new book The Nutcracker. A highlight of the forthcoming winter exhibition these pictures have never been assembled before and will offer fans of Jan's work a truly unique opportunity. Jan will be signing his new book at the gallery on November 22 at 2.30pm.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen inside The Nutcracker at Hatchard's in Piccadilly, the book is quite stunning, the 3D back 'page' is like a miniature theatre. Now all it needs are cutout 3D characters to play it!

Illustration Cupboard said...

I agree - it is a terrific book.

Hatchards! Traitor! There is a far better place for books just around the corner ...

Unknown said...

I will browse in every bookshop I see if it sells children's books - I find out about many new titles this way but I don't necessarily buy anything, I'll make a list of first editions and buy them at book launches and at my local children's bookshop!

I've been waiting until the Illustration Cupboard's Exhibition next week to buy the signed first edition of A Christmas Carol, illustrated by Robert Ingpen!

'Far better place for books just around the corner'...which one is that then?